A formal Buddy Program has been operating at Gwynneville Public School for the past four years. Children are introduced to their Year 5 buddies during the Kindergarten Orientation and continue with the same buddy when they start school the following year.
The program is most successful as the new Kindergarten children have a familiar face at the beginning of the year who can look out for them on the playground.
A formal program of Literacy runs in the Kindergarten room with the buddies assisting with reading, writing and computers.
Some comments from this year's Kindergarten students:
- "My buddy is Lucy and I like buddies because they help me" by Charlotte
- "My buddy is Kyle" by Toby
- "My buddy is Joseph and he helps me spell words" by James
- "My buddy is Regan and I like her because she is fun" by Portia
- "My buddy is Elizabeth and she helps me with my writing" by Mackenzie